We decided to interview a loyal DelMoSports Athlete and ROCKSTAR Volunteer this month. Meet Fran Mack who represents the Wild Harbor Tri Club!
Each month, we sit down with a DelMoSports athlete and ask them five questions.
Meet loyal DelMo Athlete and ROCKSTAR Volunteer, Fran Mack!
Fran represents the Wild Harbor Tri Club. She recently competed at IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City!
1. What are your race goals next season?
My race goals for 2018 as far as my pre-planned races are definitely Escape the Cape (Olympic) and IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City (waiting on Steve to have a 140.6!) And some fun ones in between to calm the nerves. I also plan on volunteering at all upcoming DelMo events!
2. Best racing advice?
Join a tri club. I am a Wild Harbor Tri Club member. Incredible club. Very supportive. #LoveMyClub. As far as my racing advice... get a good nights sleep 2 nights before a big race because a solid nights sleep more than likely isn't going to happen the night before. Sleep is the body's way of recharging the battery!
3. Favorite pre-race meal?
Probably the only boring thing about me! I get up very early and have Oatmeal, muffin, banana, some grapefruit slices and coffee. When I get to transition, I have some yogurt to settle the stomach. At the swim start right before I enter the water, I have a cliff block dipped in Base Salt. That's a new trick that works great for me!
4. What is your race mantra?
Even though this is supposed to be fun for me, I still have a competitive side. I basically strive to improve each race. I tend to drive everyone around me crazy the whole week before a big event. Then on race morning, I check my nerves at the door and tune everyone out as I keep telling myself I can't wait to run. I'm out of the water... I'm off the bike... it's all in the mind from here!!!!
5. Which event is your favorite to volunteer?
Actually all of DelMo events! But if I have to pick one, it would be Escape the Cape. Love volunteering the day before as it's the first Triathlon of the season and it's great to see everyone after a long, cold winter. The expo ROCKS!
6. What is your favorite volunteer experience with DelMoSports?
When I volunteered at IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City in 2016. That was the moment I knew I was signing up for the next year! I also got to learn many key things about the sport.
7. Tell us three things we should know about you.
- I have been doing triathlons for 17 years now. Actually made the podium 3 times! I recently decided to take it to the next level. Did my first Olympic, my first half, what's next 140.6? Waiting for DelMo for that one!
- I was taught Good Sportsmanship at an early age while competing in horse shows. My Pet Peeve is when a person changes once they reach the top of their game. That's what I absolutely love about the Tri world. People care as much about me as they do the elites. I feel wanted. NEVER forget where you came from because you never know when you may need to go back!
- When Tri season wraps up, I hit the road at dog shows with my bulldogs. My dog represented the non-sporting group for his breed at the National Dog Show last Thanksgiving. He even got a ribbon at the prestigious Westminster Dog show last February. I am truly blessed to belong to not 1 but 2 amazing families... my Tri family and my Bulldogger family. So BAM... there you have it... be forewarned that those in my path are subject to Snapchat!! :-P