I was born and raised outside of Philadelphia and grew up going to the shore every weekend.
Each month we highlight a DelMo Athlete. This month, meet Kate!
My husband and I currently live in Plymouth Meeting, PA and still come to the shore every weekend! I pay for my triathlon habit by working for The Hartford as a National Account Manager. I also coach Crossfit one or two nights each week. A self proclaimed exercise nut, I have to do something active every day for my own sanity. In 2010 I had to have knee surgery and the only thing I could do for fitness for a while was swim. At that point I decided my “comeback” would be to complete a triathlon. 4 days after I was cleared to run I completed the Wildwood Tri and have never looked back! Since that time I’ve completed over 50 triathlons, mostly sprints and a few olympic distance races. One day I’ll take the half IRONMAN plunge!
1. Which DelMo event is your favorite and why?
Tri the Wildwoods was my first triathlon so that race will always have a special place in my heart and I’ll do it every year I’m able. That first year my mom came to watch the race. After I finished she said “I was shocked when I saw you run out of the ocean so quickly, I came to watch because I was nervous you were going to drown!”
2. What is your race mantra?
Calm your breathing and just keep moving forward.
3. What’s your favorite workout song?
Guilty pleasure - 90’s boy bands like Backstreet Boys and N’Sync!
4. What are your hobbies outside of triathlon?
I’m a fitness and sports junkie! I do Crossfit 4-5 days a week, ski, and play ice hockey. My husband and I also love true crime shows on Netflix, we watch one every night before bed!
6. Tell us three things we should know about you.
1) I played ice hockey at Penn State and am still actively involved in the game as a referee. I have worked 6 Women’s World Championship tournaments and multiple USA vs Canada games. Be nice to the officials, without them you couldn’t have a game!
2) I absolutely love to travel. My life goal is to use my passport once a year.
3) Sharks are one of my favorite animals even though I have a healthy fear of them. While in South Africa for our honeymoon we went cage diving with great whites, hopefully we never see any of those in Jersey!