Meet Athlete, Sharon!
Sharon Garrison is 61 years young, an avid runner and grandmother who works as Director of Meetings and Events for a large corporate hotel. Her passion for running began after she completed several local 5K events. She quickly progressed to participating in half and full marathons. To date Sharon has completed 35 full and half marathons. In addition to her running passion, Sharon has also participated in six DelMoSports triathlons, IRONMAN, and Olympic events. Sharon resides at the Jersey shore and enjoys CrossFit training and running the boardwalks and bridges.
1. What is your favorite DelMoSports event to race and why?
Women's Philadelphia Triathlon. I love this race because it’s all about amazing ladies who have the same passion. It is hosted in a beautiful park in the summer which makes the pool and closed roads for biking and running a pleasure. I love seeing my friends and family throughout the course.
2. What is your favorite workout song?
“That Don’t Impress Me Much” by Shania Twain
3. Favorite pre-race meal?
A Kind Bar, Banana, Coffee and some Sugar Free Gatorade.
4. What is your race mantra?
"Touch and Go."
5. What is your favorite memory from a DelMoSports event?
I was running the MudHen race with my friends and they happened to be in the ladies’ room when the gun went off, so we were the last ones to start the race. We had to put it in overdrive, and I remember running so fast just to catch up. I should have donated $1.00 for everyone who I passed because they really motivated us to keep moving. Despite the late start, we laughed all the way. The setup of the start and finish lines at this event was really inspiring! When I got to the venue, I got so excited just seeing all the flags and energy they created.
6. What does your training look like right now?
Right now, I am running 3-4 days a week with two days of CrossFit. When in full swing of training, I add long bike rides and swimming.
7. What do you do with your free time?
In my free time, I am a grandmother and love spending time with my 2 grandchildren and my family. I also love spending time with my friends.
8. What is your goal for this upcoming season?
My goal is to complete the upcoming races that I have signed up for. One in particular, the Ironman, my goal is to be less nervous during the swim.
9. Tell us three things we should know about you.
1. I love inspiring people to get fit no matter what their age or shape is.
2. I love to dance – my family and friends call me the energizer bunny.
3. I love being a mom to my two beautiful children and Mima to my two precious grandchildren.