Each month, an athlete is selected to be the monthly newsletter's Athlete Highlight.
Meet Steve DeHorsey, member of the Wild Harbor Triathlon Club and loyal DelMo athlete!
1. What is your favorite DelMoSports event to race and why?
My favorite race is ETC. I've jumped about 7 times with my first being in 2016. Twelve hours after I crossed the finish line, my daughter Nora was born. I also did this race with a group of college buddies. It is a race I/We will never forget.
2. What is your favorite workout song?
My favorite workout song is a variety of Taylor Swift & any song that allows my mind to wander. "Hall of Fame" is my go to right before a race.
3. Favorite pre-race meal?
My pre-race meal will include pasta or steak or something I can fill up on.
4. What is your race mantra
My race mantra is enjoy the experience, embrace the training & suck up the entire day. I try not to take anything for granted.
5. What is your favorite memory from a DelMoSports event?
My favorite memory other than my first race is my first 70.3 (IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City). I was able to finish in under 6 hours. Every aspect of the race was just like I trained & I felt so strong & excited that day.
6. What does your training look like right now?
I am currently training for IM Lake Placid. This will be the most I have ever trained and currently training 6-7 days a week.
7. What is your goal for this upcoming season?
My goal for the season is to do my first ever relay. As my wife & I race IMAC for the last time. This was my first 70.3 and the last race a dear friend of mien did before he passed away from cancer. It will be an emotional day on many levels and a race I will never forget.
8. Tell us three things we should know about you.
- I was a volunteer for the first ever Tri the Wildwoods.
- I love triathlon because of the mental side of the sport & how in the end, the race is only with yourself.
- My kids have watched me race all of my races & it has taught them that you can do anything and even on days you struggle, smile and keep moving forward.