Meet Athlete AND Volunteer, Tony Sample! Tony is from Atlantic City and started out with DelMoSports as a volunteer, turned athlete!
1. How did you get started volunteering with DelMoSports?
Started running competitively in 2016. In 2017, I wanted to challenge myself even more, not knowing much about Triathlons, I decided to put myself close to athletes competing, so I sign up to Volunteer with DelMoSports for an opportunity to see Triathletes engaged in the sports up close and personal.
2. What is your favorite DelMoSports event to volunteer at and why?
I would have to say the IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City, I have so much respect for all the athletes who spent time training for their big day. Plus Atlantic City is my hometown so that’s helps too. A lot of work is put into this event from the staff setting up and working the event to the athletes Training and performing for one day…. That alone says a lot.
3. What is your favorite volunteer shift?
Early in the morning working the transition area. I like to be up bright and early with the athletes, even when my shift is over, I’ll hang around to see some of the athletes make their way to the finish line.
4. What is your favorite memory from a DelMoSports event?
I would have to say, competing in the Olympic distance of the Duathlon during the 2021 AC Tri ……. Although I’ve done a couple other Duathlon events (sprints) this one felt like it was on a larger scale compare to the others and also my first competing at this distance.
5. What do you do with your free time when you are NOT volunteering?
Besides work, lol….. I simply enjoy my time with my Wife, children and grandkids. I run & cycle regularly…. Now I’m fully recovered from a shoulder surgery, I’m back to weight training and looking to get back in the pool again….. becoming a Triathlete is high on my “To Do List.”
6. Tell us three things we should know about you
- I strongly believe that Family comes first.
- I enjoy exercising very much and take my overall health very serious
- I’m the type of guy who don’t have to know you, to enjoy a great conversation at our first time meeting each other…. I’ve always been told, I’m a “People Person.”