Safety Tip Of The Month brought to you by Stampone O'Brien Dilsheimer Law.
The Holiday Gift Edition
Unsure what to get the Triathlete in your life this holiday season? Here are our top 5 picks for safe swimming, running, biking, and post-race recovery.
- A Gift For The Swimmer: Open Water Buoy. Many triathletes, including our friends at the Wild Harbor Tri Club, train in open water. While a pull buoy helps to balance your lower body within the water and build strength in your torso and arms, we recommend them for safety above all else. A bright yellow or orange buoy will increase your visibility to other swimmers and watercraft, and also provides a safe place to float and rest. Most buoys, including the Blueseventy Buddy Bag and the New Wave Swim Buoy, can be found online for less than $50.
- A Gift For The Runner: Compression Sleeves. For many people, the impact of running, particularly after a grueling swim, can be tough on their muscles. Wearing compression sleeves on your arms and legs helps to increase blood flow to the muscles and accelerate oxygen and nutrient return to ease muscle fatigue and reduce swelling/inflammation. In turn, this reduces the odds of cramping and subsequent injury. Compressport and 2XU sleeves can be found online from $30-$60.
- A Gift For The Biker: Helmet. Perhaps the most important piece of safety equipment for a triathlete, many of the injuries we see in our law firm’s handling of bike accident claims could have been mitigated or avoided entirely if the rider was wearing their helmet and wearing it properly. When choosing a helmet for the triathlete in your life, you should focus on safety, performance, and airflow. We like the Louis Garneau P-09, the Giro Aerohead MIPS, as well as the stylish POC Helmet, which cost between $200 and $250.
- A Gift For Post-Race Recovery: Percussive Therapy Devices. When it comes to health and safety, what you do to recover after a race can be just as important as what you do to prepare beforehand. Various percussive therapy devices, including the Theragun, vibrating foam rollers, and smart muscle stimulators can be used at both times making them a great gift for any triathlete. Not only do they help with recovery after an intense workout and relieve common day-to-day soreness, but they have also been proven to reduce stress and improve sleep. Although there are many options out there, we like the products from Therabody, including the Theragun Mini.
- An “All-Purpose” Gift For The Triathlete: Heart Rate Monitor. Staying within your physical limitations during strenuous exercise is one of the hardest aspects of training for any triathlete. Fortunately, there are affordable heart rate monitors that not only help to improve performance and maximize the benefits of training, but also serve as a safety parameter. Heart rate monitors indicate stress-related heart rhythm disturbances and serve as a good reminder to slow down, rest, and live to compete another day. We recommend a waterproof monitor, like the Garmin HRM-Tri, which can be used during all three phases of the race.
ABOUT STAMPONE O’BRIEN DILSHEIMER LAW
Everyone loves a winner. For over 36 years, Stampone O’Brien Dilsheimer Law has proudly represented the hard-working people of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Florida – and won. The firm has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for ordinary people whose lives depend on winning.
Stampone O’Brien Dilsheimer Law represents clients who have suffered serious personal injuries, catastrophic losses, as well as wrongful death claims. The firm prides itself on intelligent, aggressive, and disciplined representation of those who have been injured. Their talented mix of experienced trial attorneys and youthful, technologically savvy litigators understand your needs, and your desire to win. They don’t back down from tough cases, and they don’t settle for less than you deserve.
Practice Areas: Wrongful Death / Medical Malpractice / Construction Accidents / Premises Liability / Product Liability / Motor Vehicle Accidents / Birth Injuries / Workplace Injury & Disability. For more information on Stampone O’Brien Dilsheimer Law, please visit stamponelaw.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.