Our first live event of 2021 is in the books. The MudHen Brewing Co. Race Series Presented by Inspira Health was a safe, fun event.
Here are the top 5 things I noticed:
- YOU. You, the athlete, were willing to listen to all instructions. We all know the pressure event producers, restaurants, and retail shops are under to 'step up their game' in this new COVID world. Well, we can only do so much and that means all of you need to do your part. I am pleased to report that every single athlete did what they were asked to do. You showed up at YOUR scheduled time, you masked up, you distanced, you brought your own aid, YOU DID IT ALL and we couldn't have been more appreciative.
- RUST. You may not have noticed, but I was a bit rusty in my execution leading up to the event. Like anything in life, the more you do something, the more you are able to get into a 'flow state.' We had only produced one other event, the Crest Best Run Fest, last October and for that we had our entire team unlike for MudHen. There were little details that you simply cannot simulate by having more meetings... you have to experience it first-hand. For this race, it was old school DelMoSports where I had to wear many hats; barricade set up, cone placement, putting signs together, marking the course, and... race announcer for the better part of Saturday morning. There is nothing like getting your teeth kicked in to remind you of how far you've come in business and life and as I like to say, "I didn't come this far... to only come this far."
- PERFECTION. As rusty as I was, our registration/ check in team never skipped a beat. Led by the amazing Kristy Thall and Rachel Leal of Team DelMo, our "Reg Team" processed athletes safely with ease, always had a smile on their faces, were vocal, informative, and genuinely loved what they were doing. This is huge because they are our first point of contact for you and their energy was contagious. A very big thank you to Abby, Chrissy, Ro, Ally, "Listen" Linda, Michael, Barb, Kristen, Mary Ann, Teddie, Lauryn, and all our volunteers who supported our check in process over the weekend!
- WEATHER. We set up in the rain on Thursday morning, produced the windiest IPA 5K in recent memory on Friday night complete with sand blowing in our eyes and faces for the better part of 4 hours. Saturday and Sunday, however, were absolutely spectacular. We are fully aware had it not been for clear skies, a little breeze, and the sounds of runner's feet hitting the boardwalk and the lap of ocean water hitting the rocks beneath the seawall it could have been a very different weekend. Because it was so beautiful, athletes were able to take a breather after the event, grab a little something to eat, snap some photos with their medal in front of a backdrop and enjoy the experience. Then head to the “We are grateful to the Gods and all her wisdom for the opportunity.”
- THE MOMENT. The moment our race converted over to an event was the moment John McBride took the microphone and began announcing around 11am on Saturday. Admittingly, I had to make budget cuts to this year's event for obvious reasons (which was why you didn't see the entire DelMo Crew). John was one of them. I realized 10 minutes into Saturday morning that I had made a grave mistake (part of the rust). At 6:47am I texted John. He drove 2+ hours and arrived by 11am to save the day. AT THAT MOMENT the race turned into an event, the energy increased, and we were back. Never again will I make that error. He was so excited he even began to sing along with the music, and we loved it.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my core team: Kristy, Rachel, Ryan, and Lauryn. All went above and beyond to do multiple jobs outside their skillset to make the MudHen Brewing Co. Race Series Presented by Inspira a fantastic first event of the season. Thank you.
With one under our belt, we are extremely excited to open registration for the CRDA Atlantic City Triathlon Presented by Inspira Health and the Stampone Law Tri the Wildwood Presented by Inspira on CINCO DE MAYO! Additionally, information regarding this year's Hand & Stone Women's Philadelphia Triathlon Presented by Inspira Health will be announced very shortly and we're equally excited for that event as well.
Thank you to all who raced with us in person, as well as remotely. You are the reason we still exist. We are grateful and we will always give you our best.
See you all very, very soon!
Stephen Del Monte