You've Got Goals. Don't Expect People To Believe In You.
2020 marks the start of the 17th season here at DelMoSports. If someone were to take me back in a time machine to tell my younger self, "Do you know what you're going to be doing in 2020? You're going to be working with IRONMAN, Rock n Roll, Red Bull, and host over 12,000 athletes per year. You'll have won awards, hired a full-time staff, and serviced almost 50 other events in the region to raise their game." I would have said it's not possible. I would have said there is zero chance in any of that happening. How in the world...?
There are 5 ABSOLUTE TRUTHS in getting to this point:
- 1. When you begin, you’re not going TO have a clue. Oh, you’ll think you know - that’s why you’ve started but in all honesty, you’ll have no idea what to do when the sh*t hits and... THAT’S OK.
- Start before you are ready. NEWSFLASH: You’ll never be ready, and if you think you’re ready - you’re not. No one is ready. Deal with it.
- Fully admit that you don’t know. There is NOTHING people detest more than a KNOW IT ALL. Admitting you don’t know everything and also be willing to learn everything and that’s when people will appreciate your vulnerability and your courage.
- Ask For Help. In the beginning, I called everyone who I thought was great and asked them tons of questions. They shared valuable lessons that helped me avoid pitfalls (even though I made my own BIG mistakes). NOTE: Their advice was helpful. I didn’t ask people to work for free (yet if they offered... SURE!)
- It takes 20 years to get 20 years of experience. DO NOT RUSH the process. Over time, you will accumulate invaluable experience, lessons, do’s, don’ts, victories, defeats, betrayals, truths, and bullsh*t. You will realize the process is the same for your athletic life, your family life, your business life, your love life, and your soul.
- You said 5 Key Elements? Yeah, I did. Learn to deal with the unexpected. Accept it.
Learn to appreciate every damn moment. It's all happening for your benefit. You Must Realize This. Don't Blink. Always do the work, always put in the time, Never Ever Quit, Be Dumb Enough To Think You Can Do It, Be Consistent, and one day... you'll blink and wonder how in the hell did this all happen?
You'll remember you believed in yourself. You'll exude confidence without saying a word... and you'll remember the day it happened.
If you started, don't stop. If you stopped, start again, and again, and again.