We are so excited to have Dave of Inspira Health join us for his very first organized running event at the MudHen Brewing Co. IPA 5K on April 9th!
"Dave has been on an incredible fitness journey over the past few years and the MudHen Brewing Co. IPA 5K will be his first event! He has come a very long way and participating in a 5K is the result of all his hard work and dedication. His weight loss has exceeded 180lbs!! Dave has been an inspiration to many and I believe his journey deserves to be shared." - PJ Ragone of Inspira Health.
1. Which DelMoSports race are you most looking forward to?
The MudHen race in April will be my first public running event ever. On July 1, 2018, I made a wellness commitment with my wife in response to escalating health issues, including shortness of breath. I literally needed to rest when walking around the block. Today, I weigh 188 lbs less than I did on July 1, 2018. My success is all about increasing my activity daily. I look forward to running this race and taking my family out to dinner to celebrate. Looking forward to the run.
2. What is your favorite workout song?
So many great songs my answer would likely change from day to day. I am going to turn 63 next week; hence I am going with an old song that always makes me smile and pick up my pace; Chuck Berry’s version of Jonny B. Goode.
3. Favorite pre-race or pre-workout meal?
Nectarines, Bananas, or grapes.
4. What is your race or life mantra?
Health, wellness, and family.
5. What is your favorite memory from an event?
Clearly, I have made some lifestyle changes that has improved my life in all areas. I teach great-grandchildren how to ski or I can easily participate in a family canoe trip. This race is really my attempt to celebrate my health, energy, and future.
6. What does your training look like right now?
In the winter I run or ski nearly every day. My run is, depending on my schedule, somewhere between 3 and 15 miles. In the summer, spring or fall my ski days become long bicycle trips. I ride in the woods and over the road.
I bought a conversion machine for my wife to help with her spinal condition (years ago). I ended up attaching elastic bands and I do a daily 15-20-minute workout upside down. I do curls, chest thrust, sit ups and abdominal crunches following my daily runs. This is a leg and spine stretching activity of significance that builds core and arm strength without weight bearing (perfect for a 63-year-old guy). I have eliminated knee pain completely. This stretching exercise has allowed my near daily work out results to continue without any injury or debilitating soreness over the past four plus years.
7. What is your goal for this upcoming race season?
One race at a time. I hope to average 15-minute miles for my 5K. I am getting closer and highly motivated.
8. Tell us three things we should know about you.
- I am a proud husband, father (1 daughter), grandfather (3 adult grandchildren), and 6 great-grandchildren.
- I have been a registered nurse for 30 years and am a proud long-time Inspira employee.
- Although I have been a skier since my childhood; this year, I skied my very best. I have become a double diamond guy 😊. My weight gain caused me to greatly reduce and eventually stop skiing. This year I skied beyond my expectations. I just spent last week up at Okemo in Vermont. I skied six straight days. My best ski days are still in the future. I look forward to my future!